Windows Around the World
- Angik School, Paulatuk, North West Territories, Canada
- Moose Kerr School, Aklavik, North West Territories, Canada
- Helen Keller Elementary, Franklin, Massachusetts, United States
- West Elementary, Mt. Juliet, Tennessee, United States
- Waiakeawaena Elementary, Hilo, Hawaii, United States
- Sunridge Elementary, Phoenix, Arizona, United States
- Gladstone Elementary School, San Dimas, California, United States
- Sarah Greenwood School, Dorchester, Massachusetts, United States
- Nantucket New School, Nantucket, Massachusetts, United States
Angik School, Paulatuk Northwest Territories
Angik School was established in the 1970s and is named after Mr. Angik, a prominent resident of Paulatuk. The original school was simply a house. The current school building was built in 1993 and houses a K-10 program with approximately 90 students. The school's logo is "Be the best that you can be". Attached to the school is the community gymnasium, which is used by both the school for gym class and by the community for social events.
Paulatuk means "place of soot" in Inuvialutun. The town is located on Darnley Bay in the Gulf of Amundeson. The Hornaday River flows into the Arctic Ocean just east of the town. The name of the town comes from natural coal deposits found in the nearby hills that burn and release smoke, known at the "Smoking Hills". Missionaries established the town in 1935. This site was chosen because of the sheltered bay and rich hunting grounds. Caribou, muskox, grizzly bears, beluga whale and Arctic Char can be found in the region. This area was traditional hunting grounds for the Inuvialuit. Today the town is composed primarily of Inuvialuits. Children in Angik School are taught Siglig Inuvialuktun language and traditions. Paulatuk can be reached by air year around or by water in the summer.
Moose Kerr School, Aklavik Northwest TerritoriesMoose Kerr School was established in 1969 and is dedicated to Mr. A.J. Kerr a long-time principal and supporter of education in Aklavik. The Moose Kerr School is a K-12 school with approximately 150 students. The school mascot is the muskrat, which traditionally played an important role in the lives of the people of Aklavik. The motto of the school and town are "Never say die". Aklavik was the administrative center for the western Arctic until the 1960s when the town of Inuvik was created to replace Aklavik. Aklavik is located on the flood plains of the Mackenzie and Peel Rivers and every spring floodwaters come up surround the town and every decade silty, floodwaters come into the town. However many residents of Aklavik did not wish to leave their town thus the development of the motto, "Never say die" and the town perseveres. Central values to the school are Respect, Humility, Honesty and Integrity.
Aklavik was set up as a trading post by the Hudson's Bay Company in 1912 to shorten the lengthy journey between Herschel Island and Fort McPherson. The name means "place where one gets grizzly bear" in Inuvialuktun. It is located in the northern range of the Gwich'in and the southern limit of the Inuvialuit peoples thus the culture of the town is a mix of Gwich 'in, Inuvialuit and European. Today, Aklavik is comprised of Inuit, Gwich'in, Métis and non-aboriginals. Students at Moose Kerr are taught Gwich'in and Inuvialuktun languages and traditions. Aklavik can be reached by air year around or by ice-road in the winter.
Helen Keller Elementary School, Franklin Massachusetts
Helen Keller Elementary School was established in 2002 and is the sixth elementary school in Franklin, Massachusetts. The school was named after Helen Keller, who became deaf and blind at an early age but did not let her handicaps stop her and with time she became a role model for people and illustrated what a person could do if they persevered and gave their best (The Life of Helen Keller).
There are approximately 600 students in the K-5 grades, with the majority of the students being Caucasian. Students at Keller Elementary are taught Spanish as a second language. The logo for Keller students is the Hawk. The hawk was chosen by the students because:
"Hawks are clever and smart like Helen Keller students. Also the hawk can soar to reach goals or
dreams the same way as Keller kids. The hawk is also very strong just like Helen Keller kids because they work hard in school every day. Hawks are brave like us every
day in school. Also hawks are trustworthy. They are also friendly to others, which is the most important thing in school."
-- Kyle Steinberg, Grade 4
Franklin Massachusetts is located in the southern portion of the state and it is southwest of Boston. It has population now of nearly 30,000 and is one of the fastest growing towns outside of Boston. The town was founded in 1778 though Europeans were living in the area in the 1600s. The town is named after Benjamin Franklin and is home to the first public library in the United States.
West Elementary School, Mt. Juliet, Tennessee
West Elementary School was erected in 1959. West is one of 6 elementary schools in Mt. Juliet with over 400 students. The school mascot is the bulldog and students s trive to be "Top Dog". Top Dogs are students that have been recognized by their teachers as being:
T-Thoughtful-Students who are concerned, helpful of others, and are understanding of other's feelings and beliefs.
O-Over achievers-Students who work to the best of their ability and who are willing to go one more step for themselves, family and school.
P-Polite-Students who have manners and are courteous and respectful of others.
D-Dependable-Students who complete their homework, have good attendance and are honest, trustworthy and responsible.
O-Outstanding-Students who are eager to do their best and try to improve themselves.
G-Good Natured-Students who have good attitudes and who have concern for self and others.
Mt. Juliet (the red dot on the map) is known as the "City between the Lakes". It is located in central Tennessee, in Wilson County, just outside of Nashville, between Old Hickory Lake on the Cumberland River and J. Percy Priest Lake on the Stones River. Both of these lakes were created by dams on the rivers. They provide great recreational areas for the town.
Mt Juliet was formed in 1835 and incorporated as a city in 1972. It was located along the stagecoach road and later the railroad that led into Nashville. It has historically provided a stopping ground to prepare for going into the capitol. The origin of the name is not known for sure but one theory says the town was named for "Aunt Julie Gleaves", a woman that was always helping people and caring for the sick and needy. However Julia Gleaves was only 18 when Mt. Juliet was formed and did not live there until 1850. The other more accepted theory is that Mt. Juliet is named for a castle in Kikenny County Ireland. Whatever the origin of it's name, today, Mt. Juliet is a rapidly growing town and is home to many young aspiring football players, horse farms, country singers and high tech companies.
Waiakeawaena Elementary School, Hilo, Hawaii
Waiakeawaena Elementary School is one of the largest elementary schools on the Big Island, with over 700 students in grades K-5. The school moved to its current location in Hilo in 1919. Over the years the school has grown from one building to many buildings that are all connected with covered outside walkways. The school mascot is the Menehune or little people in Hawaiian mythology. Central values to the school are respect, responsibility, caring, honesty and perseverance.
Hilo is located on Hilo Bay on the eastern side of the island of Hawaii, 216 miles southeast of Honolulu (on the island of Oahu). As early as 1100 A.D. Polynesians were living in Hilo. During the 1800's Hilo was a common port for whalers, missionaries and other travelers. Located on the sides of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa mountains, Hilo receives a lot of rain making it the rainiest city in the U.S. and giving it a very lush environment. Hilo is located less than 30 miles from Kilauea, one of the most active volcanoes on earth. During the 1900's Hilo experienced both volcanic eruptions and tsunamis. Today the city of Hilo is comprised of a wide mix of ethnic populations and is growing from a sugar cane based economy to a university town and tourist center.
Sunridge Elementary School, Phoenix, Arizona
Sunridge Elementary School in Phoenix, Arizona USA was created in 1983 and is located in the Fowler School District. Sunridge has over 650 students in grades Pre-kindergarten to grade 5. The school mascot is the Sidewinder, a snake common to the area.
The school motto is
Believe, Achieve, Succeed
Creer, Lograr y tener Exito
Phoenix, the capital of Arizona, is located on the upper edge of the Sonoran Desert (yellow star on the map). This is the hottest North American deserts, but one with a distinctly bimodal rainfall pattern that produces high biological diversity. The Saguaro Cactus, Arizona's state flower lives only within the Sonoran Desert.
The area that has become Phoenix was originally developed by the Hohokam Indians nearly 3000 years ago. The Hohokam created the largest prehistoric irrigation system in North America; some of it is still visible in Phoenix today. The wide Salt River runs through the Valley of Sun where Phoenix is located. In 1867, this area was discovered by Americans and new irrigation canals were built and the region became a fertile farming area again. Phoenix got its name from Darrell Duppa who suggested the name Phoenix, inasmuch as the new town would spring from the ruins of a former civilization. That is the accepted derivation of the name. Phoenix the city, as we know it began in 1868 and with time it became the capitol of the forty eighth state in the America.
Gladstone Elementary School, San Dimas, California
Gladstone Elementary School in San Dimas, California USA was formed after 1960 in the Bonita Unified School District. Gladstone Elementary has over 480 students in grades kindergarten to grade 5. The school mascot is the Griffin.
San Dimas, California is a suburb of Los Angeles (yellow star on the map) and is located 35 miles northeast of Los Angeles. San Dimas was originally called Mud Springs in reference to mud springs marsh, the name changed to San Dimas in 1887 when the Santa Fe railroad began operating a line through the area. San Dimas is located in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and in the San Gabriel and Pomona Valleys. This is a semi-arid environment.
The earliest known inhabitants of San Dimas are the Gabrielino Indians in 1000 B.C. though other tribes were there earlier. The first known white man to the area was a Spanish frontier soldier, Juan Baptista DeAnza, who passed through on his way from Monterey to Mexico in 1774. The first known American to come to the area was Jedediah Strong Smith in 1826. The development of San Dimas came with the railroad in the 1880's, and agriculture became the mainstay of the economy. Primarily oranges and lemons and other citrus crops were grown until the mid 1900's. San Dimas became incorporated as a city in 1960. It is the home of Raging Water's, the largest water amusement park in California.
Sarah Greenwood School, Dorchester, Massachusetts
Sarah Greenwood School in Dorchester, Massachusetts USA was formed in 1918 when the daughter of a prominent Boston judge donated the land. The only stipulation that Sarah Greenwood had when she gave the land for the school was that it have a playground that all the children in the area could use. The Sarah Greenwood School is a prekindergarten - 8th grade school with around 370 students. It is a bilingual Spanish / English school with both languages taught throughout the grades.
Dorchester, Massachusetts is located just south of Boston (yellow star on the map). It was first seen by Captain John Smith in 1614 and was settled in 1630 by Puritans from the West Country in England. It is named after Dorchester in Dorest county England. It was annexed by Boston in 1870, when the advent of streetcars and railroads brought a large increase in population to the area. Dorchester is home to the first public elementary school in America. Today Dorchester is a large, mixed ethnic community with a strong Irish-American section.
Nantucket New School, Nantucket, Massachusetts
Nantucket New School is a private, coeducational day school located in Nantucket, Massachusetts. The school was formed in 1985 by six families and originally was held in the basement of one family with six students. It moved to its current location in 2002, when enrollment at the school with grades prekindergarten to eight was around 100 students. Core values to the Nantucket New School are strong academics, family participation and involvement in the Nantucket community. The school is located in the middle of the island (yellow star on the maps).
Nantucket, Massachusetts is an island located sout of Cape Cod. The name Nantucket comes from a Native American word meaning "faraway island" or "land far out to sea". In the 11th century, the island was sighted by Norsemen. But it was not until 1602, when Captain Bartholomew from England sailed past Siasconset that the island was recorded and put onto maps. Originally Nantucket was populated with Wampanoag Indians until English settled the island after is was sold for "thirty pounds...and two Beaver hats". Nantucket was considered the whaling capital of the World from 1800 to 1840. After whaling ended, the economy of Nantucket collapsed until the 1880's when tourism came to the island. Cars were not allowed on the island until after 1981 when the railroad got washed out. Nantucket is an island, a county and a town- the only place in America with the same name for all three.